The museum of Mordovian folk culture was opened on October 6, 1999. It is located in the building which is a monument to the provincial urban architecture of the early twentieth century. Until 1917 the house belonged to K.Kh. Barablin, a Saransk merchant and entrepreneur.
The collection of the museum has almost 4,000 exhibits and includes collections of Mordovian folk clothing, icons, ceramics, household utensils, agricultural implement, tools. The permanent exhibition of the museum is a vivid and clear demonstration of the life, household, traditional rituals of the Mordovians, as well as the skill, taste and creativity of craftsmen who made magnificent items of folk and amateur art.
The museum regularly hosts various exhibitions dedicated to the work of individual artists, as well as thematic exhibitions: “Birchbark”, “Sunny Vine”, “Lacy Tale”, “The Inheritors of Erzia. Woodcarving”, “Batik. Space of Beauty” and others.
The museum is actively using the historical and cultural heritage of the Mordovian people and is the center of aesthetic education of children and students of the republic. It offers several educational programs for preschoolers, schoolchildren, students of technical schools and universities: “Tales for Young Masters”, “The Spiritual World of the Mordovian Peasantry”, etc. While preserving the old traditions, the museum always strives to be different and interesting to its visitors.
The most popular are the stage performances “Calendar Rites and Us”: “People Spread Flax Over the Ground for Drying When the Indian Summer is Approaching”, “First Snow is Falling on the Holy Protection Day”, “It was the Time of Christmas Carol”, “Big Time of Pancake Week”, “Festival of the First Furrow”, “Trinity or Green Week”; special program “Mordovian hospitality”.