Lang Speak

Sights

Poklonnaya Gora and Victory Park

“…In autumn 1812 Napoleon with his suit arrived to Poklonnaya Hill and they saw a gorgeous city with numerous golden domes. Moscow! This was the spot where Napoleon expected the keys to the Kremlin to be presented to him by defeated Alexander. At last his army will receive warm flats, enough food, rest, conveniences and…

Sparrow Hills

According to the legend the Sparrow (Vorobyovy) Hills got their name after priest Vorobey who owned these territories and granted them to Duchess Sophia the Great. Starting from this moment and until 19th centuries the Sparrow Hills were the favorite place for Muscovites tsars and dukes rest. During the Soviet Union time the Hills were…

Sergiyev Posad

When we hear Sergiyev Posad we imagine a great monastery complex, one of the principal spiritual centers of the Russian Church, the Trinity Lavra established by St. Sergius of Radonezh. It will be difficult to avoid clichés when talking about this monastery and probably there is no need to.  It is under the patronage of…

Novodevitchiye cemetery

At the Moscow River turn at the Novo-Dyevitchi (Maiden) field for almost 600 years there is a tenement. It is Novodevichy Convent dedicated to the icon of Our Lady of Smolensk. The history of the icon Our Lady of Smolensk goes back to Yaroslav the Wise when he got  his son Vladislav married to Anna …

The Cathedral of Christ the Savior

The Cathedral of Christ the Savior – is a Russian Orthodox Church. The Cathedral is a cenotaph for Russian  emperor soldiers who perished during the war with Napoleon, and there are names of the military offices engraved on its walls who perished during the Patriotic War of 1812 and wars of 1797—1806 and 1814—1815. Originally…

Tsaritsyno

Tsaritsyno is a palace and park ensemble in the South of Moscow. It was founded by empress Ekaterina II in 1776. Tsaritsyno park and palace are located at the former royal estate of duke Kantemirov and preserved some features of the later one. In the central part of the park there is a palace of the …

Kolomenskoye

Kolomenskoye is a former royal estate and nowadays a State Integrated Art and Historical Architectural and Natural Landscape Museum-Reserve. It is located several kilometers to the southeast of the city center of Moscow and occupies the territory of 390 hectares. The main exhibit of Kolomenskoe is a park with numerous buildings and structures of different centuries,…

Old Arbat Street

Old Arbat street is the main pedestrian street in Russia. The Arbat history lasts for almost five centuries from 16th century, smiths and craftsmen lived here first, and during Ivan the Terrible a large archers’ district appeared here. In 1736 as a result of fire the largest part of the existing at that time wooden part…

Moscow Kremlin

Moscow Kremlin is the only one among all the kremlins that is written with the capital letter. It is the largest fortress in Europe. Its secure status is explained by the thing that it is not only the historical monument included into the list of UNESCO World Heritage, but also an official residence of the…

The Memorial of the Unknown Soldier

The Memorial of the Unknown Soldier — It is a monument honoring all the Russian soldiers who perished in the Great Patriotic War. It is located in the Alexander’s Garden. The monument is a bronze sculpture of a laurel branch and a soldier’s helmet. Behind the monument there is a wall with all known names…

Spasskaya Tower

Spasskaya Tower — is one of 12 Moscow Kremlin towers. It is the main tower with the main through-passage of the Kremlin, with the most famous clock in Russia — the Kremlin chimes. The Tower was built in 1491. Initially it was called Frolovskaya after the Flor and Lavr Church. In 1658 the Gates were named…

Alexander’s Garden

Alexander’s Garden — it is a park near Red Square in the center of Moscow. It was founded in 1812. The area of the park is about 10 hectares. Here there are a lot of beautiful flowers, alleys, trees and bushes. People come here to enjoy the weather and to have a nice walk.

Monument to Minin and Pozharsky

Monument to Minin and Pozharsky— is a brass and copper statue created by the celebrated sculptor Ivan Martos. The statue is located in front of Saint Basil’s Cathedral on Red Square. It commemorates Prince Dmitry Pozharsky and Kuzma Minin, who gathered an all-Russian volunteer army and expelled the forces of Poland from Moscow, thus putting…

Lobnoye Mesto

Lobnoye Mesto is a monument of ancient Russian architecture on Red Square in Moscow. Lobnoye Mesto is also often referred to as the Tsar’s place. It is a stone platform surrounded by the fence. The place was primarily used for announcing the tsar’s ukases (orders) and for religious ceremonies. Despite a common misconception, it was…

Voskresensky gates

Voskresensky gates, it is the gate of Kitai-gorod between the State Duma and the Historical Museum on Red Square. Initially they were called Lion Gates, later on Neglimensky, later Epiphany. And since 1689 the Gates received their name as Voskresensky.

Saint Basil’s Cathedral

Saint Basil’s Cathedral — is an orthodox church located on Red Square. It is a world famous land-mark. Until the 17th century the original building was known as Trinity Church and later Trinity Cathedral. Now it is a branch of the State Historical Museum.

GUM (State department store)

GUM (State department store) — is a huge mall located on Red Square. Prior to 1921, the place was known as the Upper Trading Rows. GUM is located in the Kitai-gorod part of Moscow and refers to the monuments of the country level. Here you can buy different luxury and wealth items. It includes a lot…

Lenin’s Mausoleum

Lenin’s Mausoleum, is a monument Tomb, the resting place of Vladimir Lenin. When this famous politician died it was decided to build a mausoleum. In 1924 a wooden mausoleum was built, and in 1930 it was rebuilt using reinforced concrete and break with granite facing.

State Historical Museum

State Historical Museum is one of the most famous and largest museums in Moscow and Russia located on Red Square. The exhibition is devoted to the entire history of Rus. The museum was founded in 1872. In 1894 it received the name of an emperor historical museum. And in 1917 the name has been changed for…

Red Square

Red Square is the central square of Moscow. It is located between the Kremlin and Kitai-gorod. The history of the Square starts in 15-16 centuries. Initially Red Square was designated for trading and market and was called Torg (Market) or Pozhar (Fire). In the 17th century it gained the name Red that mean “beautiful”. In…