The Monastery of John the Evangelist in Makarovka is a male monastery of the Saransk diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, located in the village of Makarovka, part of the Lukhovka village administration, which in its turn is part of the Saransk city district.
The monastery is located on the territory of the Makarovsky churchyard, which existed since the early 18th century. The monastery itself was founded in 1994, it houses the residence of the Metropolitan of Saransk and Mordovia.
Since the 17th century, the lands of the monastery belonged to the Boyars Polyansky. The representative of the family Makar Artemyevich Polyansky, after whom the churchyard and the village of Makarovka were named, did his military service in Moscow, took possession of the land in 1686, and moved from Saransk to Moscow in 1700. After that, a churchyard was founded on his lands. In 1702, the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, and in 1704, the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, which is preserved to date, were consecrated. At about the same time, a fence and two towers were built. In the 1720s, a bell tower, and in the 1800s, the Our Lady of the Sign Church were built, which is almost the exact copy the Church of Michael the Archangel.